Monday 27 October 2008

Slogging away...

I've been churning out the overtime at work over the last few weeks but particularly so since last Tuesday when my colleague left.

Between two of us we are supposed to cover 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-5pm on Saturday. This works with one shift doing 8am-2.30pm and the other one doing 2pm-8pm plus the Saturday. (Our hours are averaged over the month.)

So without a second shift person, I'm left trying to cover as many hours as I can. Plenty of overtime for the taking - if I wanted, I could work 8am-8pm every day and Saturday. Bonanza! Realistically, though, my physical disabilities won't allow me to work those kind of hours for very long, not unless I want to make myself ill, and I very much don't.

So I'm finishing at 5pm tonight, making 15 extra hours so far going into November's pay packet. And I think I have about £250 from last month which I should get paid tomorrow.

The money is great but damn, I'm tired. I much prefer working lates; it suits my personal circadian rhythm much better. I have trouble falling asleep before 11pm at the earliest (midnight last night) and with getting up at 5.30am, I'm a little bit wiped.

No comments: