Wednesday 17 September 2008

My income

I have three streams of income.

My full time job, which I go to 5 days one week, 6 days the next. This is 37.5 hours a week, for which I net around £1200 a month (depending on tax, my tax code is being recalculated right now.) I'm also eligible for overtime at 1.25 rate fairly frequently. However this means doing a 12-hour day, which takes time away from...

...My part time job, which is 20 hours per week, 7 days a week. This is doing admin work for an online business based in the states. For this I get a flat fee of $800 per month, which is about £445 at today's exchange rates. (Damn the falling dollar!)

My "freelance" work, which is testing, and providing, digital content for the same online business. For this I get paid per item, a variable rate depending on whether I'm testing or creating. I average around $350 from this, which is just under £200.

So here is where I'm going to assign my cash for the next few months:
All of my "creating" pay will go towards my MP3 fund.
All of my "testing" pay will go into the holiday pot.
£250 of my admin pay will go onto the credit card.
Any overtime I do at my main job will go into the holiday fund, too.
Any bits and bobs that I bring in - prize draw winnings, ebay sales, saving up small change - will go in the MP3 fund too.

I am currently waiting for about £500 of overtime to be paid, so that will be a big boost for the holiday fund this month!

So if I want my MP3 player before Christmas, I need to get off my backside and create some new products.

2 comments:

Tabby said...

Hello... how did you find the online admin work if you don't mind me asking? I have been looking for some ways totop up my earnings!:O)

Broke Bint said...

Hi Tabby,

Sure, I work for a big 3D Graphics community, Renderosity.com.

I became a member (free) there in late 2002 because 3D graphics/digital art is one of my interests. After a couple of years of being a frequent poster, they were advertising for volunteer staff to help moderate the forums, so I volunteered. I was unpaid for a few months, and then got promoted to where you receive an honorarium of $50 a month.

After a year or so on the moderator staff, they advertised for people to help with store testing... that's where you quality-test the items which are submitted to the store there (which is the monetised side of the site and keeps all the community parts going.) At this point I started making quite good money because you get paid per item tested, and I'm a fast worker.

Then last year one of the Admins (managers) quit, and I got promoted to Admin, working remotely. It's quite good for them because they have cover across time zones now. I get a regular monthly salary for that, no matter how many hours I put in.

If I actually added up all the hours that I work, I'm sure I'd be getting less than minimum wage... but since I love the work, it doesn't feel like that, you know?

I also have a tiny storefront there of my own, which I periodically add my original products to, that's what I refer to as my "creating" pay.

It's one of those jobs where I've kind of fallen into it because of my interests and showing that I can work hard and well. So it's not something that anyone can come along and do, but it does show that it always pays to keep up your contacts, and to keep your options open!

Cheers, and thanks for reading :-)