Tuesday 25 November 2008

Tough going

I've just been advised that I have a new colleague starting the second week of December.

While I've been glad of the unlimited overtime over the last couple of months, I'm definitely feeling the strain now, and I'll be glad to slip back to some semblance of normality.

I'll still have plenty of opportunities to do overtime as and when - after all, we each get 30 days holiday a year, plus there are always trips to other sites, training courses, etc, which require covering.

It's times like this, I'm forcibly reminded that I'm not as young as I used to be, and not in the best of health. Although I have extraordinary reserves of energy, and an ability to process information swiftly and grasp concepts and relationships that far exceed the average, there is a finite limit to that energy and intellectual ability. And the one exponentially affects the other - the less energy I have, not only am I slower to grasp things and complete tasks, but I have less enthusiasm and drive to get things done.

I'm about to take a rare day of leaving at my contracual time, so I'll leave this now, but I'm sure I'll return to this theme.

No comments: